Friday 30 September 2022

Life, Slightly

 


Life, Slightly- Nigel Jay Cooper- Contemporary Fiction

Oh wow! A stunning read that may just make you stop and think. Jackie is talking to Gavin, getting him to open up to her about his life as he’s rather melancholy. Gavin thinks Jackie is a stranger, only she knows more about him than he realises. Gavin is married and has an eight year old son. When they were all at school Gavin had a close friend Steve and discovered something he wasn't aware of. Something he has tried to deny ever since but it hasn't gone away which is causing him angst. 

There's something special about this book, something I can't quite put my finger on. I liked Gavin and felt for his predicament. It's about life with all its ups and downs and the secrets we keep, sometimes without realising why. Relationships and the complexity therein and being true to ourselves as well as to others. There are plenty of wise words in this book, ones that made me stop, pause the reading and read again to sink in- to me a voice of experience in life and a reflection. It's a heartwarming read and one that grabbed my heart and left me with a smile- not only at the ending but about life itself. The past is just that, tomorrow isn't a given. Today is the present- treat it well. 

For more reviews please follow me on Twitter@nickisbookblog

---------------


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Note

The Note- Andrew Barrett- 5* A short story written in the first person by CSI Eddie Collins. Eddie is the sort of bloke who calls a s...