Tuesday 16 April 2024

The Writer by Miranda Smith


 The Writer by Miranda Smith-psychological thriller

Becca is trying to be a writer but struggling. She has written one book which so far has been rejected and now appears to have writer's block. She is encouraged by her writing group to do short stories to “clear the palette” and slowly begins to write long into the night after having a nightmare. For the last ten years she has been occasionally receiving black hearts with short rather threatening messages on them, she knows not from whom and hence the police can't do anything. Ten years ago, she and a friend were unwittingly caught up in a crime that happened to another close friend. Becca then discovers that local crimes are reflecting her work and the crime of the past. Could someone in the group be behind this and if so why?

This was a read that bloomed as I read it. A nice steady beginning and then the pace accelerated. There are lots of twists and turns which kept me wondering right the way through and I couldn't wait to find out as to who the perpetrator was and if my guess was correct (which switched a few times along the way- I was still wrong!). A brilliant premise, so very well executed. A thrilling, gripping read.

For more reviews please follow me on Twitter (X) or Threads @nickisbookblog

----------------------------------------------------------

Book Description:


Her body was found close to the university. She was on her way home after a night out. Just like in the story I wrote…

Every Monday, I meet my writing group in a warm, lively bar to drink a glass of wine or two. It’s the highlight of my week. But now something terrible is happening.

At first, it didn’t seem like a big deal. My tires were slashed. A woman was hit by a car outside my apartment. Then, yesterday, someone was murdered. And all the details are copied from the stories we shared.

Am I going mad, or is someone in my group a killer?

I thought they were the only people I could trust, since what happened ten years ago. But now I’m terrified one of them knows the truth that lies buried in all my work—the secret I’ve tried so hard to hide. And they want to make me pay for it.

I have to know who’s bringing my stories to life… but will the answer cost me everything?

A completely unputdownable psychological thriller that will have you glued to the pages! If you like Lisa Jewell, Ruth Ware and The Wife Between Us, then you’ll love The Writer.

Author Bio:

Miranda Smith writes psychological and domestic suspense. She is drawn to stories about ordinary people in extraordinary situations. Before completing her first novel, she worked as a newspaper staff writer and a secondary English teacher. She lives in East Tennessee with her husband and three young children.


Sign up to be the first to hear about new releases from Miranda Smith here: https://www.bookouture.com/miranda-smith

Buy Link:


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Note

The Note- Andrew Barrett- 5* A short story written in the first person by CSI Eddie Collins. Eddie is the sort of bloke who calls a s...