Monday 21 September 2020

Image may contain: text


Resistance- Patricia Dixon-  Historical/contemporary  fiction 

Will her final mission be one of revenge or, can she forgive and forget?”
Dottie is on a holiday with her granddaughter Maud in France. Maud now has a fiance whom
she is a little unsure about. Dottie is mighty sure- that he isn't the man for her granddaughter!
Dottie has a past- some of which her family know and some they don’t. She is very close to
Maud and they go off to discover more about Dotties secret life in the war. She is rather a
character- she has been married four times and is one tenacious determined lady. She
begins by telling Maud of the friend that she was named after- a woman she shared a room
with in training. We are taken through both Dotties story and present day in alternating
chapters to get both ends of the story. I loved Dottie. Someone you would always want by
your side. Caring yet fierce(in a modern day parlance). A heart of gold and steely
determination against all odds. I was very moved by the original Mauds words to Dottie:
“Will you do everything you can to be happy, live your life how you want to… Don’t be
shackled by anything or anyone or let prejudice or bigotry hold you back or taint your
dreams” . Words we perhaps all should live by, some of us having been unknowingly
shacked for most of our lives and only once they are removed do we realise that they
were there at all. I'm not normally into historical fiction however this as also set in
current times worked brilliantly and I found reall;y interesting- the sign to me of a very
well thought out and crafted book. A stunning, captivating read that had me gripped
within its pages. Dottie I will always remember and I learnt a little too, not only about
the war but about myself. I’ll leave you to ponder that one. 5**
For more reviews please see my blog http://nickibookblog.blogspot.co.uk/

or follow me on Twitter@nickisbookblog

Image may contain: outdoor

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Note

The Note- Andrew Barrett- 5* A short story written in the first person by CSI Eddie Collins. Eddie is the sort of bloke who calls a s...