Frankie by Graham Norton

 

Frankie by Graham Norton - general fiction

Frankie is an older lady who has broken her ankle and is telling her story to her overnight carer Damian. We are taken back to the late 1950’s when Frankie lost her parents and was taken in by her Aunt and Uncle- a reverend- and found herself in a house lacking in love. A disaster of a marriage and a chance meeting that takes her to New York where she eventually finds real love leads Frankie to become who she is today.

This is one heck of a story. I really admired Frankie and what she went through when younger- some of which I related to. A harsh upbringing and then almost an arranged marriage either makes you or breaks you, maybe even both simultaneously. A woman of substance not materially but mentally, and one with her feet firmly planted on the ground, determined to do her best and also for those around her. I loved this and devoured it. It's beautifully written and draws the reader in. One where I winced and smiled and cried. Graham is a stunning author and storyteller and one where I don’t need to read the premise before I dive in- I can't say that for many. A truly magnificent read and most certainly one to remember. A very big 5*

For more reviews please follow me on X (formerly Twitter) @nickisbookblog

----------------------------------------------------------


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder Under The Mistletoe by Liz Fielding

All in Monte Carlo By Anna Shilling

The Bag of Secrets by Joy Ellis