Saturday 7 January 2023

The Neighbour

 


The Neighbour by Gemma Rogers-psychological thriller

Shelly has just moved house with her ten-year-old daughter Lauren and their dog Teddy. Shelly’s mother died a few weeks ago whom they were looking after and so have gone into a rented house before buying one of their own. Teddy accidentally relieves himself on a neighbour's verge, Shelly is quick to both apologise and clear up however Valerie the neighbour is scathing. A few days later poor Teddy is ill and Shelly finds a half-eaten chocolate bar in the garden- it being poisonous to dogs. Shelly meets Valerie's son Remy who tells her she has early stages of dementia, something Shelly's mother had so she understands well but still feels there is more than they are letting on. She also discovers that both the woman and dog who lived there before have both gone missing and there is a strange message scraped on a wall. What is going on in the close and are they safe?

Ooh! This is one of those wonderful page turner reads where you just know there’s something amiss but not quite what. The skill of an author to build and keep that air of tension. It's a very clever premise and one I found myself entranced with. We think we know who the “baddie” is but do we? I really enjoyed this as I have with several of Gemma’s other books. One to keep the reader between the pages, a highly enjoyable read. 

For more reviews please follow me on Twitter@nickisbookblog

-----------------------------


The Neighbour Love thy neighbour or fear thy neighbour? For myself and Lauren, my 10-year-old daughter No3 Beech Close was to be our refuge after two years of hell nursing my sick mother. In need of a fresh start and wanting to distance ourselves from the bad memories of my mother’s house we moved to Beech Close, a small cul-de-sac of six houses situated around a picture-perfect green. It seemed perfect but I had underestimated the secrets that this tightknit community shared. Within hours of moving in my next-door neighbour Valerie made it abundantly clear we were not welcome. I soon discovered that Valerie hadn’t welcomed the previous occupant either and she’d since disappeared without a trace. Had I put myself and my daughter in danger moving to Beech Close? Which neighbours, if any could I trust? And how far would they go to keep their secret? Purchase Link - https://amzn.to/3DkqDIy

Author Bio – Gemma Rogers was inspired to write gritty thrillers by a traumatic event in her own life nearly twenty years ago. Her debut novel Stalker was published in September 2019 and marked the beginning of a new writing career. Gemma lives in West Sussex with her husband and two daughters. Social Media Links – Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gemma.rogersauthor.35 Twitter: https://twitter.com/GemmaRogers79 Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/gemmarogersauthor/ Newsletter Sign Up: https://bit.ly/GemmaRogerNews Bookbub profile: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/gemma-rogers



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Note

The Note- Andrew Barrett- 5* A short story written in the first person by CSI Eddie Collins. Eddie is the sort of bloke who calls a s...