Tuesday 29 August 2023

One Christmas Eve

 


One Christmas Eve By Shari Low

This may have a seasonal title but for me this is a book that can be read any time of year ( I'm reading this in August). Three generations and three different timelines, all easy to follow, each one with the person's name and the date on each alternating chapter. One in current time with Eve’s grandmother about to move house. The next in the middle generation is Eve's Mother Helena, one who is rather distant emotionally from the others if not physically, and the last is the grandmother Cathy and her sister back in the 1960’s.

This is my first Shari Low book (where have I been?) and most certainly won’t be my last- I most certainly have some catching up to do. From the outset there’s a warmth of character, especially Eve the granddaughter and Cathy the grandmother. They have a special relationship which I feel many will relate to and empathise with. This is such a clever plot and premise- one that blew me away and left me with a smile as I'm writing this. A story of family and of the traumas of life and how sometimes it's the smallest of things that can change the world. A kindness or a smile can mean so much. A truly uplifting story that restores the faith in human nature. You might have guessed by now that I loved this. I'm off to find more by Shari. Enough said!

For more reviews please follow me on Twitter or Threads @nickisbookblog

_____________________


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Note

The Note- Andrew Barrett- 5* A short story written in the first person by CSI Eddie Collins. Eddie is the sort of bloke who calls a s...