Tuesday 18 January 2022

 



A Terrible Kindness - Jo Browning Wroe- General fiction 

William has just qualified as an embalmer and is at a presentation dinner

when the disaster of Aberfan is announced. This is 1966 and the nation is

horrified at the tragedy. Embalmers are required and William volunteers

to go and help. His father died when he was young and his mother

appears to not be around so he has been brought up by other relatives.

His father and Uncle ran an undertaking business and it was his

fathers wish that he carry on the family firm. His mother however

isn't so keen and he embakes at a choir school- something he

excels at. Whilst there he makes discoveries about life (bear in

mind the era) and his uncle and close friend Howard. 

I loved this and quickly got into it, not wanting to put it down.

There's a skill of writing certain characters and this shone through

the pages. I couldn't help but like and empathise with William and

his situation as I feel many will. Sometimes I find I need a book

to reassure me about life and despite the ups and downs that ther

e are good, kind, understanding people in the world and this did

this in spades. This is a debut novel- wow- sign me up now for

the next one- this is a stunning, enveloping, moving read.

A book of hope and tragedy and what lies beyond both. Of compassion

and kindness and of selflessness. 

One stunning read to remember.


For more reviews please see my blog http://nickibookblog.blogspot.co.uk/

or follow me on Twitter@nickisbookblog

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Note

The Note- Andrew Barrett- 5* A short story written in the first person by CSI Eddie Collins. Eddie is the sort of bloke who calls a s...