Sunday 13 March 2022

You Only Live Thrice

 



You only Live Thrice- Karl Perry- Autobiography/medical bio

Oh wow! A book of hope amid despair, of humour and of making the most of things. My mantra has always been “ one life- live it” which this reflects so much. Karl has a skill of drawing the reader in that I wanted to keep turning and turning. This tells of around eighteen months of Karls life when just a few things happened to say the very least.  His life hung by a precipice, he lost someone dear and closed a fifteen year old business through covid. Enough to give someone a heart attack- oh wait…..

Written with a wonderful (appropriate) sense of humour this tells of scaling the mountains of life and finding those little wins- the little smile that can make so much difference. As Karl says many want big wins- the lottery win, the big holiday-yet every day there are so many little wins. As I sit writing this, yes it's freezing outside (and I'm about to go for a run and know parts of me will be freezing for a while) However there is a little win- several when I think about it- the sun is trying (as am I), it's not raining and it's not windy. I guess what I'm saying is we can all find them if we take the time to look- and Karl tells this very well. I loved this. Written in very real life by someone with their feet firmly on the ground, appreciating what others do (or don’t in some cases) whilst maintaining their sense of humour- something that for many gets them through the toughest of times or stressful periods ( ask a surgeon or someone with a high pressure job and often it's a GSOH that gets them through the day) It's so nice to read of someone with such positive thoughts on life and health and exercise..

A book for everyone to read and one I think should be compulsory reading for cardiac rehab patients. Having worked in the cardio forum myself I know of the struggles- both real and imagined by both staff and patients. Brilliant doesn't do this justice. Every year I award my special 5** to around 10% of the books I read- the ones who have that something extra, the ones that stay with me. This one deserves it in spades. I may well re-read this when I need a tonic. I laughed, I cried, I loved it (can you tell?) :)  “ Smile my boy, its Sunrise” 


For more reviews please follow me on Twitter@nickisbookblog


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Note

The Note- Andrew Barrett- 5* A short story written in the first person by CSI Eddie Collins. Eddie is the sort of bloke who calls a s...