Wednesday 11 October 2023

I Wanted You To Know

 


I Wanted You to Know by Laura Pearson-General Fiction

Oh Boy! A raw emotional, poignant read that left me reeling. This is the story of twenty-one year old Jess and her daughter Edie. Like her mother before her, Jess is bringing up her baby alone, the father nowhere to be seen. When Edie is a few weeks old Jess finds a lump and discovers the horrifying news that its breast cancer. Alternate chapters are Jess’s letters to Edie telling her about her childhood, her father, her friends and how she got to the point in life where she gave birth.

This is obviously an emotional read but it's also so much more. We all have difficulties in life of varying degrees and maybe we can all draw strength from such a tragic story. It's raw and a no holds-barred read ,but it's also about positivity in the face of adversity of the very worst kind and dealing with the little things that matter the most. It’s one of the saddest books I’ve read and found myself saying “ oh no” a few times, so invested was I in the characters. I read this in a single sitting, I knew what the ending was likely to be but had to find out the whole story. It’s heart breaking, it’s ground breaking perhaps. Powerful, emotional, thought provoking and beautifully written. A truly memorable read. 

For more reviews please follow me on Twitter or Threads @nickisbookblog

--------------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Note

The Note- Andrew Barrett- 5* A short story written in the first person by CSI Eddie Collins. Eddie is the sort of bloke who calls a s...