Monday 23 October 2023

What Dies Inside Us by Tony J. Forder

 


What Dies Inside Us by Tony J Forder-Crime

 It's Jimmy’s last week before he retires and an ex-serviceman says he saw a murder. When the emergency services arrive there is no sign of a body but a few days later the man who saw the body is murdered. The potential victim is part of a business syndicate, owning several businesses and it appears that the others have something to hide. Is there a crime when there isn’t a body or is the man just missing? Elsewhere there’s a young girl who has been admitted to hospital with an overdose. It suspiciously looks like where she lives with her sister and mother the house has been cuckooed. Did someone give her the pills as she appears incapable of getting them herself and is more going on than the mother is letting on especially when the hospital finds something unexpected? Jimmy’s final two cases before he retires are puzzling to say the least.

Oh boy! I can't say how much I love this series and Bliss. He’s such a good bloke, I wish I could meet him (yes I know its fiction) as he’s the sort of chap you would want for a friend or neighbour. Someone who you could rely on whatever the circumstances and would be there for you. The re-emergence of Molly is wonderful- she was a character earlier in the series and for anyone who has read them all, knows how special she is to Bliss (and a favourite of readers I believe).
That said this would probably stand alone however I would urge anyone to try the whole series- they are all stunning reads and nothing less than 5* from me (as you might have guessed by now!). There’s always a great camaraderie with the team, none more so than Bliss with his DS Penny Chandler who is a great foil for some of his nuances as he can be rather old school at times. There’s almost a contemplative air with this one, which fits so well for Jimmy’s final cases. Had this been the very last book, I would be in bits by now writing this, but thankfully Jimmy is to continue as a civilian. I can't thank Tony enough for this series, it's one that stands out above all (and I read 200 books a year). A stunning, captivating belter of a read. There really aren't enough superlatives. I bow to the talent of a truly magnificent author. 10* if I could.

For more reviews please follow me on Twitter or Threads  @nickisbookblog

------------------------------------



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Note

The Note- Andrew Barrett- 5* A short story written in the first person by CSI Eddie Collins. Eddie is the sort of bloke who calls a s...