Tuesday 29 January 2019

42431214

Forgotten Children -Isabella Muir- family life/historical
Emily is having a miscarriage. She hasn’t told her live in boyfriend that she is even
pregnant. This stirs memories for her. When he does his best to cheer her up taking
her out to dinner and proposing, she knows she has to leave. Twenty years ago aged
just sixteen she gave birth to a child she never held and now wonders what his life
has been like. She drives to Anglesey, far away from where she was in Hastings.
This is set in the late 1980’s  and Emily frequently uses a phone box. This rather adds
to its charm and the simplicity of the life she is leading when she leaves Mark. She
spends some time in Anglesey, almost a holiday from life before setting out on her
quest to find out about her son and tackling her estranged mother which in itself
is another mountain to climb. I felt for Emily. Her mother like many others is cold
hearted and callous, thinking only of what others think. I won’t spoil the story line
but this one track develops into something Emily could never have imagined and
kept me turning the pages time and again. This is a very well written book and I
could easily see this as a TV drama. This is based on real events, ones I was
unaware of. How children were sent to Australia, New Zealand and Canada rather
than be kept in children’s homes here, however not all of them were looked after
and many were abused and put to work as the story tells its history.
An interesting read and one to learn that little bit more of history that we may
not know.
For more reviews please see my blog http://nickibookblog.blogspot.co.uk/
or follow me on Twitter @nickijmurphy1

Amazon Top 1000 reviewer.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your honest and encouraging review of The Forgotten Children. It's wonderful to think that you could imagine it as a TV drama - I will admit that many of the characters feel so real to me that I feel as though I have met them! I always wanted the book to shed some light on a dark time in British history and your review makes me feel that it goes some way towards that, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete

The Note

The Note- Andrew Barrett- 5* A short story written in the first person by CSI Eddie Collins. Eddie is the sort of bloke who calls a s...