Sunday 20 February 2022

Impromptu

 





Impromptu by Martin Lilley -Dystopian/mystery short story 5*

One of the most stunning debut novels I have ever been privileged to read. Cat and her twin brother Tom know they are about to die. It is their sixteenth birthday and for a while now people have been dying on their birthdays at the exact time of their birth. Something known as the unforeseen. Tom was born seventeen minutes before Cat and it is now their birthday. Governments all over the world who have come up with excuse after excuse trying to link to all of the recent deaths. The streets have become unsafe to go out and Tom's time of birth is approaching. 

I loved this. I'm not normally into dystopian reads but this one is a gem and has that air of mystery wrapped around it. There is a wonderful quality of writing and a skill with words, not often seen in a debut novel. The intricately woven plot absorbed me and as one small part was answered another door opened. There is a nice build of tension and I found myself wanting to know what the answer was. When I got there- wow! I wasn't disappointed. Expect the unexpected and a smile along the way. A writer well worth looking out for.  A well thought out and very clever premise and one skillfully written. Loved it doesn't cover it. Stunning 

***********************************************************************************


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Note

The Note- Andrew Barrett- 5* A short story written in the first person by CSI Eddie Collins. Eddie is the sort of bloke who calls a s...