Monday 22 May 2023

The Light We Carry

 





The Light We Carry by Michelle Obama- non fiction

Wow! I got to this book via seeing the televised interview with Michelle and Oprah Winfrey which I loved. It stopped me in my tracks several times- and I'm not a youngster.  Let me explain: Michelle writes about reflections on life and within that of the light we carry within ourselves which is more often than not hidden either due to our own insecurities or from being downtrodden by others. My huge lightbulb moment was “ not my poison”- when I realised that whilst someone had constantly tried to put me down- Michelle made me realise that in doing so they were showing up themselves. I'd never thought of it like this, never thinking there was another side to it- how others thought of the speaker. It's about life and making the most of things and helping others along the way- how a word of encouragement can mean the world.

It's a life affirming read which I'd recommend for anyone of any age. A realistic approach on life by someone who has been through the ups and downs and the major disruptions that life can bring us. There are numerous stories- my favourite being the playdate turning up at the white house- I won’t spoil it- which made me laugh out loud.

I have huge respect for Michelle and her outlook on life. A down to earth lady who despite having been  First lady very much has two feet firmly planted on terra firma. Someone whom when I'm asked for my theoretical ideal dinner guests would firmly be at the top. Stunning doesn’t cover this. I'm in awe. 10* if I could. One of my books of the year. 

-----------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Note

The Note- Andrew Barrett- 5* A short story written in the first person by CSI Eddie Collins. Eddie is the sort of bloke who calls a s...