Tuesday 20 June 2023

The Stepson

 


The Stepson by Diane Saxon - psychological thriller

Lorraine gets a very early morning call from her mother- a rather strange one- something about Lorraine's brother. Lorraine, to her knowledge, doesn't have a brother but vaguely remembers an argument between her parents mentioning a boy when she was young. Her own young daughter has mentioned seeing her (now deceased) grandfather through the fence at her school, something Lorraine puts down to imagination. On arriving at her mothers house, she is nowhere to be found and her things are still in place. Lorraine thinks this out of character and reports it to the police who don’t take her seriously. Where is her mother and what did her last strange words really mean?

This very quickly draws the reader in- there’s a tension from the start. Lorraine comes across as a sensible, well rounded person who I took to and liked. There are several timelines each chapter clearly marked which works well and I didn't find this at all confusing. There’s a lot of too-ing and fro-ing to begin with for Lorraine to try and put together pieces of the puzzle which nicely builds her character as a likeable and sensible person.

It's a very cleverly thought out plot which took me by surprise at the end- nice one!  If you like plot twists then this one most certainly has this in spades. A highly entertaining read.

For more reviews please follow me on Twitter@nickisbookblog

_____________________


The Stepson

When your whole life becomes one big lie… The night my mum disappeared, after a panicked 3am phonecall, I knew something was wrong. The police tried to reassure me. There had to be a logical explanation they said – perhaps she’s taking a break after the tragic death of my father. But I know my mum. Or do I? She would never leave without telling me. Or would she? The harder I look, the more I discover deep, dark family secrets I was not privy to. Worrying secrets I was never meant to know. Which means my parents have lied to me my whole life. But why? Who can I turn to? Trust? Were they scared of something in their past? Or were they trying to protect me? Has mum gone on her own free will? Or has someone taken her? Diane Saxon’s compelling new thriller will have you questioning who you can trust to keep your family safe. Purchase Link - https://mybook.to/thestepsonsocial

Author Bio – Diane Saxon previously wrote romantic fiction for the US market but has now turned to writing psychological crime. Find Her Alive was her first novel in this genre and introduced series character DS Jenna Morgan. She is married to a retired policeman and lives in Shropshire. Social Media Links – Facebook https://www.facebook.com/authordianesaxon Twitter https://twitter.com/Diane_Saxon Instagram https://www.instagram.com/dianesaxonauthor/ Newsletter Sign Up: http://bit.ly/DianeSaxonNewsletter Bookbub profile: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/diane-saxon



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Note

The Note- Andrew Barrett- 5* A short story written in the first person by CSI Eddie Collins. Eddie is the sort of bloke who calls a s...