Wednesday 3 November 2021

 



The Second Marriage by Jess Ryder - Psychological thriller

Lily has just married Edward whom she met when teaching his young son Noah

as a private tutor. Edward is fifteen years older than Lily and has two older

daughters who no longer live at home but who appear totally funded by the bank

of dad. When Lily goes to tuck Noah up after the wedding he confesses that he

“remembers everything” but won’t say quite what. Edward doesn't allow any

talk about Claire, his first wife who died after an anaphylactic shock, saying it will

upset Noah as he was too young to have any memories about his mother. When

Edward goes out Lily discovers an old photo album and shows a picture to Noah

as he mentioned he would like one of his mother. Edward vehemently denies

that there are any pictures of Claire anywhere. None of his relatives turned up

at the wedding, something Lily is now finding even odder despite one of his

older girls explaining it away as “complicated”. What really happened to Claire

and what is Edward hiding?

Ooh!! I love books like this- ones you quickly get into and there is a tension and

an air of mystery early on to tempt you to the pages and then gets ever more

complex with twists and turns and whom to believe. A gripping, page-turning

thrill of a read. Do you trust him- or don’t you? A wonderful rollercoaster, a

fabulous plot and a great ending. 

For more reviews please see my blog http://nickibookblog.blogspot.co.uk/

or follow me on Twitter@nickisbookblog

------------------------------




Book Description:

‘They’re lying,’ my little stepson whispers, his blue eyes shining with tears as I tuck him into bed for the first time. ‘They think I’ve forgotten, but I remember everything. I know my mummy is still alive.’

My best friend warned me that it was too soon to marry Edward, a widower with an adorable but troubled little boy. She said we were moving too fast. But all I could see was a kind, loving man, struggling with grief, who needed my help.

Yet as storm clouds gather above our small wedding ceremony, my hopes and dreams fall apart. None of my husband’s family turn up to support us. Instead of a honeymoon, we have a quiet night in. My wedding bouquet is placed on his first wife’s grave. And then my new stepson tells me he’s sure his mother is still alive.

What does Noah remember and why is his father trying to make him forget? Have I been completely wrong about my husband? What happened to the woman who came before me, and how far will he go to stop me finding out the truth?

An utterly unputdownable, gripping, twisty psychological thriller, perfect for fans of Before I Go To SleepThe Girl on the Train and Gone Girl.

Author Bio:

Jess Ryder is the pseudonym of Jan Page, author, screenwriter, playwright and award-winning television producer. After many years working in children’s media, she has recently embarked on a life of crime. Writing, that is. So she’s very excited about the publication of her debut thriller Lie to Me. Her other big love is making pots.


Buy Links:

Audible:





1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Nicki, for such a positive review to kick off publication day. So glad you enjoyed the book. Jess.

    ReplyDelete

The Note

The Note- Andrew Barrett- 5* A short story written in the first person by CSI Eddie Collins. Eddie is the sort of bloke who calls a s...