Sunday 31 December 2023

Books of the year 2023

 These are my top reads of the year. Those that have had that extra special something. They are in the order that I read them with my top book of the year. Links to the full review is under the title of each one. A huge thank you to all the authors for such brilliant reads that take my head away to a happy place. 

-------------------------------------------

1. Maybe Its About Time by Neil Boss 

 Nicki's book blog: Maybe Its About Time (nickibookblog.blogspot.com)

  A very well thought out, cleverly crafted plot makes this very appealing and I found myself smiling just thinking about it. A stunning debut novel I can't recommend enough

2. The Viaduct By Stewart Giles

A book I just have to give my special 5**- those that blow me away and have that something extra. Wow doesn't cover this. I'm stunned. 

3. Death Warning by Andrew Barrett 

A stunningly brilliant piece of writing, a cracking plot and Eddie. What more could a girl want?

4. A Good Mother by Patricia Dixon

 A stunningly written and (and for some) evocative piece to perhaps make the reader stop and think of their own journey through life. Has it been your journey or that dictated by others so far? One life- live it.  A Powerful, dramatic, page turning, inspiring read. Wow, just wow. 

5. The Sandycove Sunset Swimmers by Sian O'Gorman  

It’s a real positive, uplifting read and made me think about my own life and making the most of things.An inspiring, uplifting read I truly loved.10* if I could.
6. The Predators by Tony J Forder

A brilliantly written, very different crime read. Most certainly one to remember. Stunning doesn’t do it justice 10* if I could. .


7. The Light We Carry by Michelle Obama

I have huge respect for Michelle and her outlook on life. A down to earth lady who despite having been  First lady very much has two feet firmly planted on terra firma. Someone whom when I'm asked for my theoretical ideal dinner guests would firmly be at the top. Stunning doesn’t cover this. I'm in awe.

8. The Memory of You by Samantha Tonge

It’s a hug in a book. A wonderful story of life and its ups and downs and sometimes how perhaps taking a step back can propel us more forward than we ever thought possible. A truly stunning read and deserved every one of the 5*in spades. Loved it doesn’t cover it. 

9. The Last List of Mabel Beaumont by Laura Pearson

This is more than a book telling a story. It's about life, and sometimes moving on despite difficulties and taking a hand (or paw) of help to the next stage. Of friendship and laughter, of tears and memories and the little things we all treasure whether material or memory.

10. A Family Affair By Patricia Dixon       **Book of the year******

Of life and love, but more of being yourself and not being someone else’s idea of whom you should be. Of being your own champion and perhaps being someone else’s too. That kind word or gesture may mean the world of difference to someone. A stunning read I really won’t forget and plan to re- read once the sands of time have settled.


11. Wild Hope by Donna Ashworth
Thank you Donna, you really do bring hope and joy to so many. Your words are a strength we never knew we had.


12. What Dies Inside Us by Tony J. Forder

Oh boy! I can't say how much I love Bliss. I can't thank Tony enough for this series, it's one that stands out above all (and I read 200 books a year). A stunning, captivating belter of a read. There really aren't enough superlatives. I bow to the talent of a truly magnificent author.

A stunningly beautifully written book that grabbed me from the outset. “The gentle snowflakes flurried, eddied and whirled, dancing in their oddly curious coruscation, before finally descending to earth where their individuality was lost amongst their earlier brethren” Wow- magical! A perfect winter read and a wonderful Christmas gift. Stunning doesn't do this justice.


14. The Bag of Secrets By Joy Ellis

Joy has the masterful skill of bringing the characters to life and Rory is one I’d love to meet if he was real! Books that are meticulously researched and calculated. A stunningly captivating read. I'm in awe of this. Wow, just wow!
























No comments:

Post a Comment

The Note

The Note- Andrew Barrett- 5* A short story written in the first person by CSI Eddie Collins. Eddie is the sort of bloke who calls a s...