Thursday 12 July 2018




The Mystery of the Skull-( Famous Five) Pamela Butchart, Enid Blyton

The Secret Seven are back! This took me back to my childhood and reading under the
covers. Whilst out walking they find part of a skull. Being the Secret Seven one thing
leads to another and soon they are on the trail of a suspicious couple running a seemingly
fully booked hotel- with no guests and a tent over a hole which they are more than
curious about. The friends as ever are imaginative in their sleuthing and always need
extra snacks and drinks after any sort of adventure.  This is a more modern version of
the old classics and hence not quite in the same style as Enid Blyton’s wonderful books.
Something was a little adrift. Great to have the format but just that je ne sais quoi
missing. Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed this but not quite as much as I thought I would.
Maybe I have just got older( who knew!) ? Maybe this needs reading by today’s
younger generation to see what they make of it. However I feel they would be asking
questions such as“why didn’t they use a mobile phone” etc. A mixed bag.

For more reviews please see my blog http://nickibookblog.blogspot.co.uk/
or follow me on Twitter @nickijmurphy1

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Note

The Note- Andrew Barrett- 5* A short story written in the first person by CSI Eddie Collins. Eddie is the sort of bloke who calls a s...