Thursday 29 December 2022

My books of the year 2022

 ********************My books of the year 2022****************
These are my top reads of the year in the order I read them. Those that achieved my 5** rating- the ones that touched me or blew me away for one reason or another. These are around 7% of the total reads. 
1. Little Viking Horse by Catherine Holland Bax- Childrens
Although a children's book I believe adults will enjoy it too. We all can learn a little about the magic of animals and that special bond that there can be between us and them. 
Nicki's book blog (nickibookblog.blogspot.com)


2. You only Live Thrice- Karl Perry- Autobiography/medical bio

Oh wow! A book of hope amid despair, of humour and of making the most of things. My mantra has always been “ one life- live it” which this reflects so much. I may well re-read this when I need a tonic. I laughed, I cried, I loved it (can you tell?) :)  “ Smile my boy, its Sunrise” 

Nicki's book blog: You Only Live Thrice (nickibookblog.blogspot.com)


3. The Right Words- Donna Ashworth- Poety/Inspirational

A friend bought me this as Im going through something currently which she totally gets. Donna writes " let the book decide which page you need to read today, its rather good at that" Sceptical? Oh boy! After a tough day of dealing with things Id rather not talk about, the book found the right pages for me. So much so it blew me away. Someone " got me"- my feelings and emotions, thoughts and doubts and so much more.

Nicki's book blog (nickibookblog.blogspot.com)



4. - The Sturmtaucher Trilogy By Alan Jones- WW2 (The Gathering Storm, Flight of the ShearwaterThe Turn of the Tide ** BOOK OF THE YEAR **********

I have so loved this trilogy for several reasons. It's fiction but so well interspersed with facts and excellent research that at times I had to remind myself it truly was fiction. That many of those facts were hidden as part of the great German propaganda now seem a lifetime away and yet we still hear of horrors in different parts of the world and still of a propaganda machine elsewhere sadly. I can't say how much I recommend this- it’s more of an experience than “just” a book, one that gives so much right the way through. A stunning piece of writing and research, a wonderful multi plot line and characters to remember in all sorts of ways.





5. How To Save A Life (now called The Night We First Met) by Clare Swatman-women's fiction

I love Clare’s books- they quickly envelop you like a warm blanket and that favourite pair of slippers. There's a wonderful depth of characters that quickly comes across and a mystery that keeps the pages turning. It's hard to describe the warmth of these books. Each one is simply stunning and makes you think about life a little, treasuring the little things and thinking about always being kind. That one small gesture from you could have far reaching consequences you never thought possible.

6. Open your Eyes- Heather J Fitt-  psychological thriller
OMG! I genuinely couldn't put this down- its so well written and gripping I wanted to race through the whole thing (real life got in the way unfortunately ). I took to Frankie and this opened my eyes to what sadly is out there on something I knew nothing about. Yes this is fiction but things like this do exist (look up incel - wiki is a good source) and many murders have been committed through this. A well researched, stunningly written novel


7. Venus was her name- Patricia Dixon - contemporary fiction
Oh wow! The read of the summer- stunning and beautiful,I smiled and I cried. A treasure, a gift and of a talented author- this is so beautifully written. I could picture Edie and some of her scenes with Joe and Ace which made my heart smile and ache accordingly. One of hope and dreams, highs and lows and how sometimes what you thought was buried deep may cast longer shadows than you ever imagined. A truly magnificent read to remember. 


8. Mad Honey- Jodi Picoult & Jennifer Finney Boylan-Literary Fiction

A book about life and what it may throw at us and of being who we truly are, not restrained by others or popular thought. Of learning from those little winged creatures who are always one step ahead of us humans and of life that can give us a real buzz both good and bad. A brave, beautiful, powerful stunner of a read. Nicki's book blog: Search results for mad honey (nickibookblog.blogspot.com)

9. Olive, Mabel and Me- Andrew Cotter 

The love and companionship of a species so amazing in so many ways. I laughed out loud ( sorry next door caravan) and I shed a tear but was left with my heart bursting at the love Ive been so lucky to receive from my faithful friends. 10* if I could (and a sausage to Olive and Mabel). Maybe a pat to Mr Cotter too . 

10. The Lightning Rod- Tony Forder- crime
OMG. I'm in awe of Tony and his mindset. The initial scenes are so well thought out and written so the reader can understand them easily. The thinking behind them however is mind blowing and it's as if Tony was sitting in on several meetings taking notes as to who thought and said what. This isn't a straightforward case as you can tell from above, but so meticulously told and crafted it has taken a special sort of brain to even think of it, let alone put it down on paper! A truly wonderful story that I didn’t want to end. I’d love to hug Jimmy (and Tony if he’d let me) for the warmth that shines through every one of these books. A stunning, gripping, real page turner. 10* if I could.


11, SOLACE HOUSE by Joy Ellis- Crime
Oh I so love Joy’s books. There is a warmth of storytelling and characters from a master of words and so much more. I almost race through wanting to find out what happens and at the same time not wanting it to end. I can't help but love Jackman and Marie as they have the tenacity and determination whilst maintaining that emotive, empathetic side of human nature. A twist towards the end that stopped me in my tracks and a story that left me reeling thinking wow!. One stunning read.

12. Canaries in the Coalmine- Ross Greenwood- Crime

OMG.  A book that stopped me in my tracks (in a very good way). Yes it's a crime book but it's so very much more. It's about understanding our fellow humans whatever they are or choose to be or what they have been through. Of love and understanding and most of all caring. Trevor made me cry at the end, and yes as Ross says afterwards we’ve perhaps all known a Trevor in our time. One of my books of the year, this really is something so special I don’t have adequate words to describe it.


13.The Charity Shop Detective Agency by Peter Boland- Cosy Crime

This is such a clever and well thought out concept. Three ladies seemingly inconspicuous because of their age get up to all sorts of antics to solve the increasing murder rate. I've read the Richard Osman ones and this one for me is better, I smiled more, and the characters come alive so well. There are twists and turns and red herrings and a wonderful dog by the name of Simon LeBon! I really didn't want this to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Note

The Note- Andrew Barrett- 5* A short story written in the first person by CSI Eddie Collins. Eddie is the sort of bloke who calls a s...